This is almost exactly what you want. I started using it a while
ago and it is pretty great for html:

This is the "surround" plug-in.  If you google "vim surround plugin"
there are a few web videos showing how it works, so I won't bother
saying too much.  Basically you can place the cursor somewhere and do

There is a visual block mode.  You highlight a block, hit capital S,
type the tag (eg, <div class="main">) and the block is wrapped.

For some reason googlegroups is rejecting my email so I tried sending
this several times, sorry if you got multiple copies.

--
MK <halfcountp...@intergate.com>