On 16/03/10 03:49, Ben Kim wrote:
do not swim upstream, spit into the wind, or attempt to create a
colorscheme named 'default'

Curious... What is the wisdom?

There's already a colorscheme named 'default', so naming another
colorscheme 'default' didn't work as expected, and isn't worth the
hassle. Just call it something meaningful.

I wouldn't have tried it if there weren't already a default.vim in the
standard distribution. I looked at the contents of the file and it was
mostly empty, but the name sounded so authoritative. I wonder about its
role.

The reason why I looked at it was - I'm the only vim user - and the
default colors are rather difficult to read in vimdiff even with syn off.

Yes, I wouldn't replace it in a multi-user environment...

I used to upgrade once per version so the "overwrite by upgrade" was not
a concern for me.

But thanks all - now I know where to look.

Ben Kim

The standard "default" colorscheme contains not a single color definition because its purpose is to reset all colors to their defaults, *whatever those defaults may be*. If you compiled Vim with different defaults in it, you wouldn't need to change the default colorscheme to reset those new defaults.

That "default" colorscheme is a fallback tool to be used from the command-line when you've badly messed up the colours, to bring them back to the starting point.

You should keep your runtime files up to date, really, either by means of rsync or with the help of the new Mercurial repository; but you should also keep your _binaries_ up to date: since 7.0.0 there has been 243 bugfixes for 7.0, 330 for 7.1 and a whopping 433 for 7.2, for a total of more than a thousand, not counting improvements made at a minor version change, such as floating-point support at version 7.2.

See at http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm how I compile Vim on Linux, and the article I wrote yesterday as http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial about getting both sources and runtimes together from Bram's latest repository. These HowTo pages ought to apply to CentOS with very little change, if any, and compiling Vim is not really difficult.

Your own runtime files have their own place, in 'runtimepath' directories other than $VIMRUNTIME: $VIM/vimfiles and $VIM/vimfiles/after for system-wide scripts and ~/.vim and /.vim/after for user-private scripts. (See :help 'rtp' for details.) Using these also has the advantage that, since they don't depend on the version number, you won't need to move them over when finally you do move to a newer version, either the current "stable" 7.2 (7.2.433 at the mo'), or the 7.3 version whose first beta version (7.3a) was released earlier today.

Happy Vimming,
Tony.
--
ARTHUR:  Well, I AM king...
DENNIS:  Oh king, eh, very nice.  An' how'd you get that, eh?  By exploitin'