Jose Caballero wrote:
> I use vim 6.3.82, on Red Hat. I have no root privileges.

That version is extremely obsolete. It is possible to install
your own version (without root privilege), but really you should
use a large cluestick on your admins.

> Right now I have all my mappings and abbreviations and those
> things in a single file: ~/.vimrc Clearly that is not
> efficient given I am using the same setup if I edit a python
> script, a HTML document, a C++ one, etc. Not good.

It is tricky working out all the details, and I don't know of
any good docs apart from Vim's help (which, since it covers all
the details and exceptions, is particularly dense in this area).

However, you should get a good start simply by looking at the
following two examples (ignore what the tips actually do, just
see how the script is arranged):
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Search_for_visually_selected_text
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Indenting_source_code

The first puts a script in the plugin directory so it's
always available. The second uses ftplugin so it's only loaded
when files for a particular file type are edited.

Following is another example which uses ftplugin for a new file
type and so does not have to worry about using after/ftplugin as
in the above:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Edit_MoinMoin_wiki_files_with_folding

You can also see some advice:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Keep_your_vimrc_file_clean