On Sunday 20 June 2010 13:19:28 Tim Chase wrote:

> Even as a python developer for my core programming job and
>  active  on comp.lang.python, I tend to stick with Vim-script
>  for vim automation because I know it should run on just about
>  all versions of Vim.  The mental impedance caused by jumping
>  between vim-script and python tends to be more than I want to
>  think about, so I keep them pretty separate.  But it's
>  available if you want it :)

also, vim's filtering abilities make it simple to use python
scripts external to the editor that work in your buffer, with the
additional benefit that you can use the same script from a bash
shell if you want to

see

    :h complex-change

for a description of the various ways filtering can be performed

sc