On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM, brianm <brian.mat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the word on Windows 64-bit support?  Has the work that's been
> done here:
>    http://code.google.com/p/vim-win3264/wiki/Win64Binaries
> been incorporated into this version?
>
> It would be great if the shell extension was now working with Win64
> from the official package.

I just updated the front page of http://code.google.com/p/vim-win3264/ after
uploading vim73-x64.zip. Here's what I wrote there:

Vim 7.3 was released on 2010/8/15.
Win64Binaries<http://code.google.com/p/vim-win3264/wiki/Win64Binaries>
are
available here.

The official Win32 installer from
vim.org<http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc> is
recommended over the Win64 binaries supplied here:

   - Full GUI installer
   - Installs a Win32 or Win64 gvimext.dll Shell Extension appropriate to
   the target machine. This provides Edit with Vim functionality in Explorer
   using the 32-bit (g)vim.exe.
   - "Big" version of GVim that includes language interfaces for Python 2.7,
   Python 3.1, Ruby 1.9, Tcl 8.3, and Perl 5.12;
   - CScope and NetBeans integration, and Global Input Method Editors for
   Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
   - Fully supported

The Win64 binaries have:

   - Command-line installer
   - "Huge" version of GVim with a language interface for Python 2.7. (Most
   other languages that Vim has an interface for are not available as Win64
   binaries.)
   - Not supported; not well tested.

There are still a few reasons why one might want a native 64-bit version of
Vim (per Craig Barkhouse):

   1. Editing files >4GB in size; rare I know, but still.
   2. 64-bit WinPE does not have a WOW64 subsystem, hence you cannot run a
   32-bit executable.
   3. Windows Server 2008 R2 (i.e. Win7 Server) also does not have the WOW64
   subsystem, by default, although it is an optional component you can install.
   4. Potential for perf gains, particularly in heavy memory operations like
   memcpy and memcmp which can be optimized for the 64-bit word size.