On Aug 21, 9:15 am, Stahlman Family <brettstahl...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Now comes the unexpected part... With the cursor on the 2nd line (the
> one containing the yz region), and Vim in normal mode, the region end
> token (Z) is displayed as cchar (`-') (as expected), but the start token
> (Y) is *completely* concealed (as it would be for conceallevel=3). If I
> enter insert mode, both start and end tokens are displayed as the actual
> text highlighted as Error. While the insert mode behavior makes sense, I
> would have expected the treatment of the start and end tokens to be
> identical in normal mode: i.e., I would expect them both to be replaced
> by cchar.

This sounds very similar to one of the 2 bugs reported a few weeks ago
here:

http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/e49bf0f57b7dc79

These bugs were both fixed, I believe in changeset da067045878f: Fix
for "concealends". (Vince Negri).

Maybe the root cause is similar? I don't see the issue described in
the test file attached to the linked vim_dev thread when using the
test file in that thread. I have not yet tried your test file.