On 2010-08-25, Vivek Bhat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using vim since 7.1. In windows I do not face any problem. But in
> my openSUSE OS there is one little irritant. The gvim window never gets
> maximized. Whenever I maximize gvim, it gets maximized and then auto shrinks
> little from left and bottom. I have been facing this in openSUSE 11.2 and
> 11.3
> and in gvim 7.2 as well as gvim 7.3.
> Here is the snapshot:
> http://picasaweb.google.co.in/vivekbhat9/MySuseDesktop#5509356255021935746
>
> Is there some work around for this?

>From that picture, it appears that there is not quite enough room
for another row or column of text.  Vim creates the largest text
area it can given the selected font size, frames the result with a
title bar, menu bar and scroll bar, and the result is what you see.
Vim can't make use of the left-over space, so it lets you see a
little more of your desktop.

Note that the Windows maximizes windows differently that Unix
(actually the X Window System) does.  When Windows maximizes a
window, it changes the structure of the window, removing borders
and locking the window position.  When Unix maximizes a window,
it simply makes the window size the largest that will fit on the
desktop--it does not alter the window structure or lock its
position.

What you are observing is a feature.

Regards,
Gary