Christian Brabandt wrote:
On Thu, September 16, 2010 12:10 am, hsitz wrote:
I have Vim documents that have codeblock areas that use 'syntax
include' regions to have different syntax highlighting from the main
document. For example, I have a syntax region named 'pyregion' defined
that I use when I input Python code. The pyregion areas of the
document are then highlighted using setup in Python's syntax file,
while the area outside the region uses the syntax file of the main
document.

I hear a lot about the txtfmt plugin, which seems to be very advanced.
But I don't know, whether it can help in your scenario, when you want
to color whole lines. Brett, probably knows better.

The Txtfmt plugin can be used to change the background color (as well as foreground color and format attributes) of arbitrary regions of text. As Christian correctly points out, however, the syntax mechanism operates only on actual *characters*. As far as I know, the only way to do what you're trying to do involves the addition of trailing whitespace (whose background color can be set). Of course, you may not wish to have such whitespace in your source files...

The problem is that Vim's background coloring mechanism is akin to "highlighting" in a word processor, whereas what you want is analogous to "Background Color".

Brett Stahlman

regards,
Christian