Hi,

I am not sure if I correctly understood these tips. There were some ideas of
using crtl+v and crtl+insert for copy/pasting text, but this is not what I
want.

I want to copy a text to the clipboard by just marking the text in vim, and
the using the middle-button of the mouse to paste it into my vim session
(currently, I can paste text from the clipboard from somewhere else using
shift-middle-button, which is just quite ok). I tried the tips given here
(i.e. the long list of xmap instructions and the following:
map <MiddleMouse> iz<Esc>mz:execute "normal a".system("xclip
-o")[:-2]<CR>`zx)

but still I cannot paste text in vim which I have selected before in vim. I
have the following .vimrc:

:set number
:set paste
:set mouse=a

autocmd FileType * set tabstop=2|set shiftwidth=2|set noexpandtab
autocmd FileType python set tabstop=4|set shiftwidth=4|set expandtab
autocmd BufEnter * set ai sw=4 ts=4 sta et fo=croql
set softtabstop=4 " makes the spaces feel like real tabs

The following is a list of items that work, and which I want to work later
as well:
1. I can use the mouse to left-click, to put the cursor to another place
2. I can paste text in (by using shift - middle-mouse-button) from some
other application

But the following items do NOT work:
A. I cannot mark text in vim to copy it to the clipboard. I cannot paste
text from vim to vim or some other application.

So my question: Is it possible to configure vim in that way so that marking
as text will put it into the clipboard (so that a subsequent middle-click of
the mouse will paste it to somewhere else) WITHOUT loosing the first two
currently working abilities...? Is that possible at all without having to
install something different (which I had to do on ~10 other computers as
non-root...).

I hope it is clear this time. Sorry if I was not very clear before.

Thanks
  Alex