On Oct 4, 8:07 am, Simon Ruderich <si...@ruderich.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 02:50:02AM -0700, esquifit wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> > relevant for GUI. Fundamentally I'm missing a high level description
> > of which encodings and which conversions come at which moment into
> > play (vim startup, loading from memory, input from user, writing to
> > disk, internal representation, whatever)
>
> :h mbyte.txt contains very detailed explanations what exactly
> happens and when, but it's quite long.
>
> If you use GVim, you only need to do two things to get it to
> work. set encoding=utf-8 and set 'fileencodings' to a value of
> your choice, depending which charsets you want to work with. I
> use UTF-8 for most my work, but want to be able to read latin1,
> so I use set fileencodings=utf-8,latin1.
>
> Vimgor (the bot in #irssi) also has a short summary:
>
>     Vim has multiple settings for encodings: 'encoding' sets
>     Vim's internal encoding (should be utf-8), 'fileencoding'
>     sets the encoding of a file, 'fileencodings' (s) are
>     encodings tried when opening a file. If Vim doesn't detect
>     the encoding correctly, use :e ++enc=encoding filename to
>     force the given encoding. If possible try it in GVim or
>     terminal encoding problems might interfere.

You can also set fileencoding manually after a file read, so that you
can convert it to a different encoding when writing the file. You will
probably want this new encoding in your fileencodings option so it can
be detected, otherwise you'll always need to :e ++enc=blah every time
you open the file.

> > On a related note: is it possible to set different fonts in different
> > vim windows/tabs within a single application window? (I could define
> > an autocommand to restore the default font, but there is another
> > situation in which this would not be a solution).
>
> No idea, I only use terminal Vim.

This is not possible. 'guifont' is always global. Can you not find a
font with all the glyphs of interest to you? Or maybe, keep two
different shortcuts/aliases for Vim, one for each font you need to
use, and always use separate Vim instances.