Hi

> I would like to map Alt+char to certain functions in GVIM. I'm using
> GVIM 7.2 on Solaris machine, using dtterm (or xterm) for my terminal.

Firstly, with gvim the terminal is irrelevant.  Are you really using
gvim, not vim in a terminal?

> For example, I would like to use Alt+j and Alt+k...
> But this doesn't work. It DOES work if I map it to the control key...

Most likely your window manager is taking the alt key strokes, so that
gvim doesn't see them.  You can check if gvim gets key strokes by
typing them prefixed by control V (or control Q if control V is paste
for you).  If you see nothing, gvim didn't get the key.

What is your window manager?

Regards, John