I don't see how this is a feature. I can see the local gvim on my remote
machine and want to load a remote file in my local gvim. When I use gvim
--remote SOMEFILE on the remote machine, an *empty* file gets loaded on
my local gvim. So it seems that there is some connection between the
remote machine an my local gvim, but I actually expected that SOMEFILE
gets loaded in my local vim. Is this possible with the --remote option?

It's not really a bug. The Vim remote feature wasn't actually designed
to work between machines, just between instances on the same machine.

Here's what's happening.

Vim on your remote machine can see Vim on your local machine because of
the forwarded X connection. But it has no way of knowing the Vim on your
local machine is on a different machine, with a different filesystem,
etc.. --remote doesn't forward any file contents, it just sends a
command to the Vim it's communicating with, telling it to edit a file at
a certain path. Since the local and remote Vim don't share the same
filesystem, the path doesn't mean the same thing to both Vims.

The best thing I can suggest is to make yourself a little shell script
or macro that takes an argument and calls vim --remote with the path
modified in such a way that your local Vim can find it via scp. So when
you do

vimremote file.txt

it does

vim --remote scp://host/path/to/file.txt

Ben.