On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Christian Brabandt <cbli...@256bit.org>wrote:

> On Thu, February 24, 2011 1:03 pm, Tim Chase wrote:
> > On 02/23/2011 11:20 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
> >> :help :argdo
> >> :help :bufdo
> >
> > ...remembering that vim will complain if you try to leave a
> > modified buffer unless you
> >
> > 1) save the buffer as part of your command:
> >
> >    :bufdo %s/foo/bar/g|w
> >
> > 2) set 'hidden' to allow vim to leave a modified buffer:
> >
> >    :set hidden
> >    :bufdo %s/foo/bar/g
> >    <review changes to make sure they're what you want>
> >    :wall
>
> or
> 3) set 'autowriteall' which will automatically write your unsaved
>   changes. (Not that I think it is a good idea...)

Also, I am sure you know this and not exactly what you are looking for, but
I have found using vimgrep and then using the cw command to show matches in
a window, then making the edits manually or on per file basis. I came
recently from textmate and used global replace a lot but in the end I think
I end up messing up things more and that by at least having to go instance
by instance in the end save time and get more accurate --

ie.

:vimgrep /findtext/gj ./**
:cw