ZyX <zyx....@gmail.com> wrote:

When I want to edit a file I just type `vim file'. What I am supposed to do
if I
want to keep one vim session? Don't suggest me switching to other terminal
window and typing anything there.

I thought this would be obvious: If you work in unix/linux with x-windows,
then alias gvim thus:

alias gvim gvim --remote-tab-silent

Now `vim filename' will open a single instance of vim, with `filename' in one
tab. Switch files by simply clicking on one of the tabs.

If you work in a shell, with no graphic windows you can do something similar
by using autocommands and a tiny file to pass commands to one instance of vim.
If desired, I can specify how to do this.

Setting vim up to `one vim for one project' is easier than `one vim for all
projects.

Actually, session files and tab functionality were designed, for the most
part, to let users work on projects, using a single instance of vim. In
particular, each tab can correspond to a project, with settings saved and
sourced in a session file. Each tab can handle a collection of files in
several buffers and/or windows. You go to a project by selecting a tab. Then
you change from one file to another, using buffer commands or a buffer plugin.
You load a project into vim, by loading a particular session file.

I can understand being reluctant to give up one's private system, and learn
all these session, tab, buffer commands. But, they are there for those who
want them.

                 {  PLEASE CHANGE YOUR EMAIL CONTACT LIST!      }
                 { If I am listed as howa...@sfo.com, change my }
                 {      address to howard...@gmail.com          }