On 08/04/11 04:20, Tim Chase wrote:
On 04/07/2011 08:05 PM, Tim Gray wrote:
I feel like to get the most out of it you need to a) put the
time in to learn it and b) put the time in *configuring* to
make it work for you.

While I certainly agree with (a), I'm at the other end of the spectrum
on (b). One of the things I like most about vi/vim/gvim is that I have
it on all my *nix boxes by default (whether vim on Linux and Mac, or nvi
on OpenBSD if I haven't yet installed vim) and have installed it on my
Win32 boxes...it behaves (mostly) the same everywhere out-of-the-box
without any tweaks. It might be a rarity as lots of folks on the list
have tricked-out configs, but other people have told similar tales[1].
The cost of losing a config or keeping it in sync across umpteen boxes
is more hassle than it's worth to me.

Just my $0.02 on it. (and to answer your initial question, I use Vim for
all my text editing, whether code, HTML/CSS, or just plain vanilla
text-files like to-do lists and emails)

-tim

[1]
http://oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/ask_tim/1999/unix_editor.html

My approach to vimrc, colorscheme etc. is that it all grew, I'd be tempted to say "naturally". My first vimrc was

runtime vimrc_example.vim

which isn't much but was already (to me) much better than just -N on the command-line. Then when I found something I didn't like, I changed it, usually by adding something at the bottom: my second vimrc was

runtime vimrc_example.vim
filetype indent off

to avoid high-handed intervention in my unsystematic HTML indenting. It all grew from there, and nowadays it's 688 lines (including empty lines and comments), not counting a colorscheme and a few plugins that I wrote or downloaded.

As for keeping it in sync, I don't have your problems: I used to have one vimrc, %HOME%\_vimrc on a Windows Fat32 partition, symlinked from wherever ~/.vimrc was on an ext2 (at that time) Linux partition on the same disk. Now I've scrapped Windows, I don't even use double-boot anymore, but I've kept the "if has('unix') | ... | else | ... | endif" (and similar) constructs. And nowadays I keep my vimrc in the $HOME for my unprivileged login name, but symlinked from /root/.vimrc so even if I have to switch from one to the other, Vim behaves identically. That's the amount of it.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Help me, I'm a prisoner in a Fortune cookie file!