On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:

Just for reference, in case this is in any way system dependant!
I'm on a Win 7 x 64bit ultimate OS.
My vim is a straight download and unmodified install from vim.org.

Below are included a sample file xxx, and a sample script zzz.

[Aside]
Please come up with smaller examples.  For this one:

==> xxx <==
aaaaa
bbbbb
ccccc
===========

==> zzz <==
try
        g/notfound/d
catch /E486:/
        echo 'this is not caught'
endtry
===========

If it weren't obvious where the error was occurring, you could systematically add:

finish

to each line of the script, then seeing how far it makes it.
[/Aside]

This is one of the example cases for using :silent.  See:

:help :sil

But, also, I found this note in the todo:

"""
   8   ":g//" gives "Pattern not found error" with E486.  Should not use
       the error number, it's not a regular error message.
"""

So, I don't think it can be caught via try/catch.

Also, why are you setting marks 'a and 'b and using 'a,'b everywhere, instead of just using 1 and $?

Plus 1,$ can be better written as: %

And the default range for the :g[lobal] command is 1,$ anyway. So, you need not use any range at all.

" e.g. you wrote:
1mark a
$mark b
'a,'bg/^ /d