On Apr 14, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Tim Gray wrote:

>> While I'm at it, in floundering around with Vim I've encountered paths that
>> I can't navigate to in Finder [actually, Path Finder]. Some, maybe all,
>> started with "/usr". Where the hell is "usr" on a Mac?
>
> ....it's a hidden folder in Finder.  So you actually won't see it.  haha.
> You either navigate to it using the command line in Terminal, or in Finder,
> go to the 'Go' menu and select 'Go to Folder...'.  Then type '/usr' in the
> dialogue.  Be careful though - you really don't want to mess with much in the
> /usr directory if you don't know what you are doing.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be going there very often.

> I think that you'll find that using Vim expects a certain level of knowledge
> about the command line and the Unix environment.

In my year of floundering around with linux, I got reasonably comfortable doing
a lot of things I'd never encountered in Windows. After moving to a Mac I got
lazy. I didn't have to be tinkering continuously. Things just worked.

If I'd invested in a new machine, instead of trying to get linux to work the
way I wanted on a clunky old one, I probably wouldn't have had to flounder. But
then I'd never discovered Mac. I'm glad I discovered Mac. It just works.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net