Leslie Viljoen wrote:

> I think the problem would be solved if Vim could recognise a new
> section starting and use that to terminate the previous one. Looking
> at Python syntax files, it looks like people are using huge vimscripts
> to solve a similar problem - which is a bit of a hack I think.
>
> Any ideas?

It has been a long time since I did much with syntax definitions, but
I *think* you can force Vim to end the match of the new section (to
end the current section) on the line before the actual text, allowing
Vim to match the new section a second time to begin the next match.

If I remember correctly, this is how "else" blocks are handled here:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Syntax_folding_of_Vim_scripts