On Apr 20, 9:53 am, zidar <zidar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just started using vim, and I would really like give it a fair
> chance, since it sounds like an awesome editor.
> First thing i did was install python syntax highlighting, witch looked
> really nice.
>
> Then i tried installing gundo, and here is where my problems started.
> First thing i saw was:
> "install details
> Use Pathogen.
>
> No, seriously."

I agree this is a terrible installation instruction. And I don't use
pathogen, I use Vim plugins the way they were originally set up.

Not having used Pathogen, I don't know how to work installation using
it. If you get rid of Pathogen, to install *any* global plugin like
gundo, just put the .vim file into a (possibly new) ~/.vim/plugin
directory. That's all you need to do to use the plugin.

Some other plugins also require stuff to be copied into "autoload" or
"ftplugin" or similar, however most of them will show you the
directories needed, just like gundo does in the .zip file. The common
thread is that they all go under ~/.vim.

There is technically one more step for a full gundo installation. To
install the help file, copy it into ~/.vim/doc, go into Vim, and run
the command :helptags ~/.vim/doc

That's it. Details within Vim, at :help plugin