On 24/04/11 16:41, ZyX wrote:
Reply to message «Re: edit alternate file -- e!# vs b!#»,
sent 18:18:38 24 April 2011, Sunday
by Tony Mechelynck:

Don't forget that with an exclamation mark, if your current buffer (the
one you leave to edit the alternate file) is modified, and not open in
another window, all changes will be lost with no warning.
You forgot to add `unless you have set one of 'hidden', 'autowrite',
'autowriteall' options'. I do not know why one may want not to set `hidden'
option.

I intentionally do not set 'hidden' because I don't want modified buffers to disappear out of sight with no decision on my part of either writing them out or abandoning them. (Remaining temporarily in a split-window of height zero, but with a [+] on its status line, reminds me that I shall still have to make such a decision.)

Even with 'autowriteall' (which I use, but you might want not to), the exclamation mark discards any changes in the buffer being unloaded.

With 'hidden', OTOH, IIUC the exclamation mark makes no difference? If so, then why use it?

Best regards,
Tony.
--
You may easily play a joke on a man who likes to argue -- agree with
him.