On 04/28/2011 01:15 PM, Jean-Rene David wrote:
* Tim Chase [2011.04.28 14:00]:
[...]
   :windo g/pattern/q

which did as I expected, but had the odd side effect of printing
misleading messages about additional/fewer lines:

   193 more lines
   E486: Pattern not found: @
   86 fewer lines
   16 fewer lines
   E486: Pattern not found: @

I can't reproduce this on terminal vim 7.3.143. I had two files open:

$ cat /tmp/foo
1+2
@11+12
$ cat /tmp/bar
barou

and used both '@' and '1' as patterns.

I get the E486 error but not the more/less lines messages.

Because each of your files have the same number of lines, it doesn't register a change. For a full example:

 bash$ cd ~/tmp; mkdir moreless; cd moreless
 bash$ for i in 10 20 30 40 50; do seq $i > ${i}.txt ; done
 bash$ sed -i '5s/$/@/' 30.txt
 bash$ sed -i '10s/$/@/' 50.txt
 bash$ vim -o *.txt
 :windo g/@/q

produces (on the stock 7.2.445 that comes with Debian Squeeze)

  E486: Pattern not found: @
  E486: Pattern not found: @
  10 more lines
  E486: Pattern not found: @