On May 22, 3:59 pm, Tim Chase <v...@tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> My first questions would be:
>
> 1) what *is* in your vimrc?
>
> 2) what's the output of ":version"?  This might also be checkable
> with ":echo 'xxx'>''" to see what it evals as.  Depending your
> version, you might be running with -eval set.  According to
> ":help no-eval-feature", items in an "if" block get ignored if
> your build doesn't include +eval
>
> -tim

Tim -- Thanks for the suggestions (which I answered in previous
response).

I'm starting to think this is a bug in vim itself.  Here's more of the
background:

The error is happening on an up-to-date ArchLinux system running the
development branch of the VimOrganizer filetype plugin.  (Available
at:  https://github.com/hsitz/VimOrganizer )

I'm author of that plugin and a user complained of problems running
that I debugged remotely.  This problem does not happen on any of my
Windows installs or on a couple Linux installs I've checked (Ubuntu,
OpenSuse).

The user is able to replicate the problem this way:

1.  open terminal vim from command line with command 'vim'
2.  run :echo 'DONE' > ''   (properly outputs value of 1)
3.  quit vim
4.  open any org file, 'vim anyorgfile.org'
5.  run :echo 'DONE' > '' (returns invalid output of 0)

So it seems something gets screwed up when the filetype plugin is
initialized.  Strange because (1) no errors are thrown, (2) same code
works fine on many other systems, and (3)  even if something in
VimOrganizer is screwy I can't imagine proper behavior for vim is to
have different results for same expression in steps numbered 2 and 5,
above.

-- Herb

.