On 2011-06-17, Farid wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2:17 am, Farid <fa...@ou.edu> wrote:
> > You're right.  Pressing zR or just zr does open all the folds.
> >
> > Typing :verbose set ft? fdm? fde? shows
> >
> > filetype=abaqus
> > Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim73/filetype.vim
> > foldmethod=expr
> > Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim73/ftplugin/abaqus.vim
> > foldexpr=getline(v:lnum)[0]!="*"
> > Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim73/ftplugin/abaqus.vim
> >
> > Is there a way to just turn-off this plugin?

> Ah nvm.  I edited the filetype.vim and comment out the "set ftype
> abaqus" line and everything works well now.  Appparently, abaqus type
> will do the folding if the file begins with * or ** or *** etc as the
> header.  Which is what I've been working with most.
>
> I like the trick.  Thank you again Gary!

You're welcome.

Just be careful about modifying files under $VIMRUNTIME, which in
your case is /usr/share/vim/vim73.  One should generally avoid
modifying those files because they may be replaced during an upgrade
of your Vim installation and your changes will be lost.  Also, if
you upgrade to a new major or minor revision of Vim (e.g., from 7.3
to 7.4), the new version of Vim will use a different $VIMRUNTIME
directory and while your changes won't be lost, they will be
ignored.

Consequently, take a look at

    :help filetypes

for an explanation of several ways to modify Vim's response to
different filetypes and where to put those modifications so that
they will not be overwritten.

I think the simplest solution in your case is create your own abaqus
filetype plugin which can prevent the standard abaqus filetype
plugin from being executed.  Create a new file,

    ~/.vim/ftplugin/abaqus.vim

and put in that file this one line:

    let b:did_ftplugin = 1

Regards,