On Jun 20, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Vlad Irnov wrote:

>> Thanks, Vlad. I've copied the script from the github. Folding is not working
>> for me very well, not at all really. When I first tried it on the
>> readme.markdown file I managed to get a partial fold on the first header,
>> but not on any others. I get only "Fold could not be found errors." By
>> "partial" I mean that only some of the lines subordinate to the header were
>> included in the fold. Subsequently I have not been able to generate any
>> folds in the file, not even the one on the first header with which I had
>> success initially. Perhaps I do not understand expression based folding, and
>> within that, markdown header based folding.
>
> Execute the following command in a markdown file such as
> README.markdown to see if everything was set up correctly
>   :set ft? fdm? fde?
> The output should be
>  filetype=markdown
>  foldmethod=expr
>  foldexpr=Foldexpr_markdown(v:lnum)

Thanks for sticking with me on this, Vlad. I sense that when we get this
working I'll find it very useful.

The results I got from executing the command you suggested varies from what it
should be. They are:

filetype=markdown
foldmethod=manual
foldexpr=0

The only thing in my .vimrc that relates to folding are the two lines I
included in my last response, and that are commented out. I checked two other
plugins that I have installed, VimOutliner and TaskPaper.Vim. In files that are
in ~/.vim/ftplugin both have fold-related commands, but they are executed with
setlocal, e.g., setlocal foldmethod=syntax. I'm assuming these will not affect
fold setups for other filetypes.

I notice from your script that the location of markdown.vim file is slightly
different from where I've put it. The former says it should go in
~/.vim/after/ftplugin. I have it in ~/.vim/after/plugin. Could that be the
problem?

> What do you do to "generate" folds? With expression based folding you
> don't generate folds. They are created automatically when you load
> file or edit text. You can only close and open folds with commands
> zM,zR,zc,zo and so on. You can also enable option 'foldcolumn'
>    :set foldcolumn=6
> and then open/close folds by clicking +/- signs with the mouse.

I've tried zf -- which I gather will not work? -- zc, and za. I haven't tried
to define any folds. I understood that with this method folds are created
automatically.

These are my settings for the fold-options that you left optional. I'm not sure
I understand foldenable or foldlevel. I left it at 0 because, as best I
understood what it does, I thought it would make the base state of the folds
closed.

setl foldenable
setl foldlevel=0
setl foldcolumn=2