On 19/07/11 16:51, Ben Schmidt wrote:
On 7/07/11 12:00 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
On 6/07/11 11:40 PM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
On 4/07/11 10:56 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
On 07/04/2011 03:07 AM, Kent wrote:
last weekend I finally did the switch from .vim to
vim-addon-manager. after the change, I made some small tests,
almost everything looks fine. but the arrow key don't move
cursor in INsert mode any longer, just ouput A, B, C, and D. I
remembered that could be the vi-compatible problem.

This sounds suspiciously like your terminal is sending an escape
sequence to move the cursor, and that the escape is being eaten.

I just realised I'm seeing this, as I pressed an arrow key by mistake (I
never usually use them)!

So this may be a recent regression.

Which Vim versions are you using?

I might try to do a bisect with Mercurial to identify which changeset
introduced the problem anyway.

Hmm. No, I don't think this is it. I tried doing a bisect, but trying to
find a good changeset didn't really work--Vim 7.3.2 has the problem, and
I definitely didn't experience the behaviour that long ago. I get the
problem with -u NONE, so it's not just configuration either. So I don't
know what's causing it yet.

Making a little progress tracking this down. For me it happens when I
start Vim normally, or with -u NONE or with -N. However, if I use
-u NONE -N (both options together), the problem does not occur.

-u NONE:
        no vimrc hence 'compatible' mode unless also -N
        no gvimrc
        no plugins

-N
        use 'nocompatible' mode even if no vimrc

neither
        use vimrc from usual location if found
                'nocompatible' if found, else 'compatible'
        in gvim only, use gvimrc from usual location if found
        use global plugins from $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/
                (and other plugin/ subfolders of 'runtimepath' folders)

'compatible' influences a lot of other options (see :help 'compatible'), see if your vimrc sets any of those and how (and see also :help :verbose)

Check also near the top of the output of :scriptnames — maybe you unwittingly have a system vimrc (a vimrc without . or _ in front of its name, usually in $VIM but on Unix sometimes in /etc/ — the exact location is displayed about one-third of the way down from the top of the output of :version)

I'll post again if I make more progress. In the meantime, though, does
that set of switches fix it for others experiencing this problem?

Ben.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
        The people of Halifax invented the trampoline.  During the
Victorian period the tripe-dressers of Halifax stretched tripe across a

        The people of Halifax also invented the harmonium, a device for
castrating pigs during Sunday service.
                -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"