If you define a syntax for a buffer , move away and then return is
the syntax remembered or do all the syntax commands have to be
executed again? Some tests I did indicate it's the latter.

Specifically (with simplifications) my  .vimrc  (on Linux) has

autocmd BufReadPost,BufNewFile *.myfile source ~/myfile.vim

and file  ~/myfile.vim  has

if exists("b:myfile")
    finish
endif

let b:myfile = 1
syntax match special /special/
highlight special term=bold cterm=bold

When I edit  file.myfile  the highlighting works correctly but if I
move away and return then there's no highlighting. Is there a way to
make the syntax remembered or do the syntax and highlight commands
have to be (re)executed every time the buffer is loaded ? If it's the
latter then I find it a strange design choice because it is almost
certain that you want the same sort of syntax highlighting every time
you edit the same buffer so it's a waste of time to execute again and
again the syntax and highlight commands.

Comments ?