After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the excessively long vim startup
times I was experiencing
were caused by the Syntastic bundle.  I was seeing startup times of 15 to 30+
seconds for a new file.

However, I was only seeing this on Mac OSX (Snow Leopard, Tiger), but not on
Ubuntu Linux.   On all
of the machines I am using the same build and the same .vimrc & .vim/

Using the command "time vim -c q abc.txt" I get these times:

OSX (Snow Leopard)        OSX (Tiger)           Ubuntu(Lucid Lynx)

real  0m11.717s          real  0m23.673s        real  0m0.091s
user  0m0.841s           user  0m3.426s         user  0m0.070s
sys   0m0.295s           sys   0m1.391s         sys   0m0.000s

In subsequent runs the times improve (for OSX), but not significantly.

Are there any know issues that would cause this behavior on OSX and not Ubuntu?

Is there any way to not auto load the Syntastic bundle, but have it available
on demand.

Thanks

Matt