[Reflowed as a bottom post to forestall whining from the usual suspects]

2011/10/9 Александр Куринный <kurin...@gmail.com>
> On 9 October 2011 00:12, George V. Reilly <geo...@reilly.org> wrote:
> > Since monospaced fonts are a perennial topic of discussion here, I'll
> > mention the new Ubuntu Mono font, which can be downloaded from
> > http://font.ubuntu.com/
> >
> > The recent 0.80 release of the Ubuntu Fonts includes Ubuntu Mono in
> > Regular, Regular Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic variants. It's the
> > default font for the Terminal in next week's release of Oneiric
> > Ocelot, Ubuntu 11.10. I've tried it in MacVim and Gnome Gvim and it
> > looks decent. As the version number implies, the fonts (particularly
> > Mono) are a work in progress.
>
> In terminal they look really bad)

Some, including me, like Ubuntu Mono in Terminal.

> Looks more like famous Comic Sans=)

Apparently, Ubuntu Mono is being tweaked (but not designed) by Vincent
Connare, the designer of Comic Sans:
http://design.canonical.com/2011/09/ubuntu-monospace-beta/. He also
designed Trebuchet, which is a much more respectable font.

> Letter "M" - why did they do it?!

That's been controversial. See the above link for some background.
Also, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-font-family/+bug/869961

--
/George V. Reilly  geo...@reilly.org  Twitter: @georgevreilly
http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog  http://blogs.cozi.com/tech