>    I would like to use it to search a list of files and substitute a new
> string for a pattern it finds, and then write the resulting file to a new
> filename for each file in the original list.

These command line switches may be of help.

 -s <scriptin>        Read Normal mode commands from file <scriptin>
 -w <scriptout>       Append all typed commands to file <scriptout>
 -W <scriptout>       Write all typed commands to file <scriptout>

sed or awk could be a very nice option if you are on a *nix OS.  If it is a
Windows machine you should be able to use these switches along with a file
of recorded commands (ie <scriptin>)