On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Srushti wrote:

I use Vim primarily to write ruby code. Recently I switched to using rbenv which involves changing the PATH variable to add some shims (for which I've added a couple of lines to my .zshrc).

.zshrc is only for interactive shells, which wouldn't cover:

:!echo $PATH

You should probably put your modifications in .zshenv, which is sourced for all invocations of zsh, unless inhibited.

For example, my .zshenv contains PATH modifications and most environment var setup (since it's needed in all shells), whereas my .zshrc contains things like initializing the completion system (which only makes sense interactively).

--
Best,
Ben