On Dec 5, 8:47 pm, Greg Underwood <greg.underw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does your Windows shortcut run a cygwin gvim?
> > I'm not sure where cygwin fits into this picture, otherwise.
> > You do know there is a native Vim installer for Windows, right?
> > I'm wondering if the extra startup time for the shortcut might have to
> > do with starting the cygwin environment or something.
> > Really you've given almost zero detail as to what your setup is.
> > What options do you pass Vim? What version of Vim are you running? Are
> > you launching the same Vim executable from your shortcut as from
> > cygwin? If not, is it the same version? Do they use the same startup
> > files?
>
> Very fair questions!  My appologies.  It was a long day and I was a bit
> frustrated.  Thanks for responding anyway ... hopefully we can sort this
> out. :D
>
> My setup is:
>
> System:
>
> Win7 64-bit, running as dual-boot on an apple iMac.  The problem is only
> occurring on the Windows side of things, and as stated, only started to
> occur on Friday, after updating some Windows software.  (Apologies for
> calling it Win32 originally - long-standing habit I should really break).
> I do have the Mac version 7.3 of GVim installed on the Mac side and all is
> well there - no slow downs.
>
> Installed Vim:
>
> Win32 version 7.3.46 of GVim installed via native installer for Win32,
> installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\...
> The Windows shortcut is a direct shortcut to the native-installed GVim for
> Win32 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\Vim73\gvim.exe

Probably this won't matter, but that version IS quite old. There's
more recent native installers available, or you can compile your own
if you're so inclined. At work I just download the installer:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cream/files/Vim/

> Cygwin config:
>
> Cygwin installed - no version of vim installed from the Cygwin packages - I
> didn't want parallel installations and any conflicts that might arise
> therefrom.
> Cygwin's $(HOME)/.bashrc has an alias mapping 'vi' to the Win32 native
> install of GVim (same path as above).

Hmm, interesting. I'm not certain how well this will work. Apparently
it mostly works fine for you, though with some slow-down on the
Windows side.

> I only set up one _vimrc file, in C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\_vimrc
>
> When I run:
>
> When I launch GVim from both the Windows shortcut or right-click context
> menu and from the Cygwin command line, it is obviously using the same
> _vimrc file as my settings are different enough from the default to be
> immediately obvious if GVim is loading with them or not (different
> background color, bigger window, etc).
>
> My assumption is that they are therefore sharing all the same config files
> and that I really am launching the same executable with the same config.
> Is there a way I can ask GVim to tell me what all config files (with full
> paths) it's using on startup to confirm this?

:scriptnames should do it. Also try to :echo &runtimepath to see where
it looks for everything. But I'm guessing you made a decent
assumption.

> GVim is launched with no options on the command line - just a file name
> when I'm editing a file, or no options at all when launching a new, blank
> window.

So, probably no filetype-specific plugins interfering.

> Other info:
>
> I mentioned Cygwin because, as far as I can tell, it's launching the same
> executable with the same config files, but is doing it orders of magnitude
> faster.  Which seems very interesting, but I'm not sure how to interpret.
> It certainly seemed relevant to the discussion.  :)

I'd start by narrowing it down to plugins vs. your .vimrc. Try all of:

gvim -i NONE (to check for the .viminfo/_viminfo file containing
something ridiculous)

gvim -N -u NORC -i NONE (to check for .vimrc/_vimrc causing it)

gvim -N --noplugin -i NONE (to check for plugins causing it)

gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE (to check all your config at once)