On 09/12/11 17:14, Bruce wrote:
I've been annoyed by it for years, but maybe it has become more
aggressive.

I *HATE* colors because I cannot read blue on black or yellow on
white.
Those colors are all too common.

I *HATE* finding myself in the middle of a file because several months
ago I
edited the same file and that is where I left off.

VIM is waaaay too smart for its own good.

Yesterday, I googled the answer to shutting down VIM's memory:

   set viminfo='0,:0,<0,@0,f0,/0'

cool except that vim responded with, "I saw that in your vimrc file,
and
I do know what you want to do, but I am not going to honor it because
you left off something or other (and I won't tell you what)."

OK, not quite true, but this is true:

Error detected while processing /old-home/bkorb/.vimrc:
line   39:
E527: Missing comma: viminfo='0,:0,<0,@0,f0,/0'
Press ENTER or type command to continue

and adding a comma yields another error and fixing that goes back to
this.
Entirely equivalent to "I won't tell you what."

Morals to the story:

1.  Clear error messages are crucial
2.  How do I tell VIM that I want it to be a stupid (non-fancy) text
editor?

So let's have a look at that :set statement of yours. The 'viminfo' option is a comma-separated list. What are you setting it to?

        '0      Don't remember file marks
        :0      Don't remember command-line history
        <0   Don't save registers
        @0      Don't remember input history
        f0      Don't store file marks
        /0'     HUH? /0 would mean "don't remember search history",
                but why the apostrophe after it?

This said, if you don't want to keep anything in the viminfo, just use

        :set vi=

(i.e. set the option to the empty string).

What Vim was telling you was not "I know what you're trying to achieve and I won't do it because you left out something that I know and won't tell", it was just simply: "I don't understand".

Best regards,
Tony.
--
With every passing hour our solar system comes forty-three thousand
miles closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules, and