Charles Campbell wrote:
I think deprecated syntax should be flagged.
---
   I would agree -- could you find where/when it was deprecated?

I remember seeing more commonly back maybe 10-15 years ago,
but I don't recall seeing any specific deprecation notice. The (()), I think
was new and introduced in bash.  I'm not sure it's accepted in shells still
following the original POSIX standard. There have been modifications whereby newer standards have been created, but that's the problem when folks talk about 'the' standard... which 'the' are they are they referring to? The one that was the only one when it was created, or one that was a derivative (and technically couldn't be
'the standard', as it would be the 2nd, revised standard)...

However, I've uploaded syntax/sh.vim v121 which has a new feature:
if you put
  let g:sh_no_error= 1
into your .vimrc, you will no longer see error highlighting (with v121).
----
Thanks! (I think)... what standard are you choosing to cover? I think there are at least 3 maybe more versions now. Perhaps the default to should be the earlier standard (like perl is doing now), and people can enable new features by explicitly saying "use <newer version>".

That way old code doesn't break, and newer code benefits by more powerful features.
Now if only the bash folks were that smart.