On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Charles Campbell <
charles.e.campb...@nasa.gov> wrote:

> Marty Fried wrote:
>

>> I agree.  That is why I believe that if someone is using root account for
>> something, it is probably for maintenance, or to fix a problem.  It may be
>> that the person has root access for maintenance, but is not in the sudo
>> users file, and doesn't have time to set it up for a one-time use.
>>

>>  Nice philosophy, but: I suspect that due to the free nature of the
> various linux distros, there are quite a few "root" users who only barely
> know what they're doing.  Having a complex editor like Vim doing things
> (such as backups, changing permissions, changing ownership) isn't a good
> idea imho.  Such things should be done explicitly (ie. chmod,chgrp, chown,
> or by menu); requiring all the barely to somewhat competent root
> administrators to have mastered all the nuances of vim is naive.
> Admittedly, I didn't go over all 83 hits I got with helpgrep in detail.

I guess I spoke somewhat out of ignorance; I wasn't aware that Vim did
those things.  I don't even know how, and I'm not sure if I want to know.
:)

I use the explicit methods you mentioned. I'm a simple kind of guy, and I
like things to be pretty modular, so I know what will happen.  When I use
an editor, I only expect it to change the contents of the file.  It's nice
that it allows me, after prompting, to save to a read-only file, and I
appreciate it sometimes, but I wouldn't mind if it didn't.

 I'll admit that I'm somewhat torn in my opinions about protecting barely
competent users from themselves.  Throughout my long experience with
computers, that's mostly the way I learned, by destroying things.  I
learned things like backing up, not assuming things when the consequences
matter, etc.

Now, if it were Windows, maybe I would expect the handholding.  But I've
messed up Windows in the past, too.  :)

Regards,

Marty Fried