I haven't been able to get gVim/Vim 7.3 on windows to work with the putty
executables.
1. they're in my path;
2. they work perfectly fine from the dos command line;
3. I can use the WinSCP edit link to edit things with gVim
4. these are my current settings. Note that PASSWORD has my actual
password. I added -l and -pw because VIM would just hang when I tried to
sftp to a known directory. I added the first one based on a note from the
group

let g:netrw_list_cmd="plink.exe HOSTNAME ls -Fa -l furashg -pw PASSWORD"
let g:netrw_scp_cmd="pscp.exe -q"
let g:netrw_sftp_cmd="psftp.exe -l furashg -pw PASSWORD"
If I just type:
 e sftp://furashg@[address]/
  e sftp://furashg@[address]/home/furashg/
it doesn't hang, but I don't see any file list (though it claims to be
listing files.

When I leave out the -l and -pw parameters, I get the same result.

There must be numerous people who have gotten this to work. If anyone has
any advice, I'd appreciate it.