On 03/03/12 18:39, Phil Dobbin wrote:
Or alternatively there are good deals to be had with a VPS
nowadays if you want complete root access to a box (configure
your own mail server& so forth) at realistically nearly the
same price as shared hosting. I personally use 6sync&  find
them great.

Getting a VPS is still pretty pricey. The best I've been able to find for a lowest-end VPS is about $15-20/mo (both your suggested 6sync and Linode fall into this category). For shared hosting, I've seen it as low as free (I wouldn't trust anything valuable to such a site as they often inject things into the output or reliability is an issue), frequently hovering around $3/mo for the lowest, $5/mo for what I'd consider reasonable reliability. That's a 3-5x price factor.

If all your site is static (like I seem to recall Dr. Chip's pages were), using something like github is a pretty tempting proposition: stable, free, easy interface, and easy way to share and gather updates.

-tim