On Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:00:07 AM UTC-6, Marco wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> my vim lost the ability to  highlight marked text, e.g. when I press
> <Shift>-v the line is marked (it  says “visual line” at the bottom),
> but it  is not visible.  It occurs only in  console vim and  only in
> urxvt, I tried four other terminals and all are fine.
>
> I tried to find out what causes  the problem. I started vim with the
> “-u NONE”  option and it  works fine, then I  used “-u NORC”  and it
> also works fine. That means that the cause lies in my .vimrc, right?
> I  assume  that  an add-on  causes  the  problem.  I  use a  lot  of
> add-ons.  How  to  disable  them  temporarily  one  by  one  (I  use
> vim-addon-manager)?
>

> Regards
>
> Marco

It sounds like you are missing a highlight definition for Visual. What does
":verbose hi Visual" tell you?

Or possibly your .vimrc messes with terminal or terminal color definitions, and
this is causing a problem.

Possibly it is an addon, but these don't tend to screw up highlight in this
way. It could be a colorscheme I suppose.