Excerpt from Tim Chase:

> On 05/02/12 08:30, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> The main symptoms are the message "No protocol specified" which
>> appears both on the editing session (with a different background) and
>> on the command-line.
>>
>> For instance, this is cut-and-pasted directly from my terminal session:
>>
>> root@treat:~/scripts# vim -i NONE -u NONE err
>> No protocol specified
>> No protocol specified
>> No protocol specified
>> root@treat:~/scripts#
>
> I believe this is Vim trying to talk to your X server and failing.
> I suspect you're running X as non-root and then "su"'ed to root.  A
> couple options exist depending on the solution you want:
>
> 1) try starting Vim with "-X" to tell vim not to bother connecting
> to the X server.  It's fast, easy, and reliable, but loses the
> ability for root to use the X clipboards
>
> 2) link the ~user/.Xauthority to ~root/.Xauthority with
>
>   ln -s ~user/.Xauthority ~root/.Xauthority
>
> This will give Vim-as-root the ability to talk to the X session.  It
> has the small downside that, if you have multiple users logging into
> the machine, and you sit down arbitrarily at one of them (rather
> than always logging in as the same user), you'd have to relink the
> file each time (easily done by using "-f" and changing the username
> from "user" to "user2").  This is the solution I use on my Debian
> boxes at home.
>
> 3) blithely ignore the warning secure in knowing that it's only
> telling you that Vim-as-root can't talk to the X server.

4)
,----[  ~/.bashrc  ]--------

if [[ ${EUID} -eq 0 ]] ; then
    [[ -n ${DISPLAY} ]] && unset DISPLAY
fi
`---------------------------------------------

If --login is used, the $TERM, $COLORTERM, $DISPLAY,
and $XAUTHORITY environment variables are copied if
they were set.

--
Regards,
Thilo

4096R/0xC70B1A8F
721B 1BA0 095C 1ABA 3FC6  7C18 89A4 A2A0 C70B 1A8F