On 20/07/12 21:06, BPJ wrote:
On 2012-07-20 11:23, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
You shouldn't have used Google; use the help (Vim is the only
program I know which has a help worth using): see

Agreed, but you still often need Google to find out where to
look in the help system! :(

/bpj

With Vim you don't; and if you had looked up those help tags I gave you you would have find why: If you know (more or less) what to look for, try

        :help {subject}

where {subject} is the subject, for instance i_CTRL-R for the Ctrl-R key in Insert mode (see the various possible prefixes under ":help help-context").

If you _don't_ know what the help topic might be, the :helpgrep command lets you scan the whole text of all help files for a given word (or regular expression). It is a quickfix command, see :help quickfix.txt

And as Andy Spencer (almost) said, the (not really useful) solution is

        :%s/\_s//g

meaning:

        :%      (or :1,$) in the whole file
        s       :s[ubstitute] = find / replace
        /       start of "find what" pattern
        \_s     space, tab or newline
        /       start of "replace by"
        /       end of "replace by", i.e., replace by nothing
        g       any number of times per line

And yes, like Andy said, the space between <?xml and version= should remain, so I would replace all the above by

        :2,$s/  etc., to avoid replacing in the first line.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"You are old," said the youth, "one would hardly suppose
        That your eye was as steady as ever;

"I have answered three questions, and that is enough,"
        Said his father.  "Don't give yourself airs!
Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
        Be off, or I'll kick you down stairs!"
                -- Lewis Carrol