On 2012-08-01, His Nerdship wrote:

> So if I want to start up Vim so that it immediately takes
> me to the word ‘haddock’ on line 713 of fish.cpp I would expect to
> enter:
> gvim +713 -c “/haddock” fish.cpp
> However I find this takes me to (or near) line 713, and all instances
> of ‘haddock’ are correctly highlighted, but at best it will take me
> only to the start of the line, not to the expression itself. I am
> trying to emulate as closely as possible the functionality we get when
> COM/OLE is working correctly, where the cursor is placed right on the
> search expression.
> Is there a way I can achieve this level of control from the command
> line?

(I assume that the oddball quotation marks are due to your mailer's
editor.)

The -c option specifies an ex command, not a normal-mode
command.  The ex search command finds the line matching the
patterns, not the column.

What you want is something like this:

    gvim +713 -c 'exe "normal /haddock\<CR>"' fish.cpp

The quoting shown works on Unix.  It's important that the :normal
command be enclosed in double-quotes for the \<CR> to be correctly
expanded by :exe.  I don't know how to quote that properly on
Windows, so I'll leave that to you.

See

    :help -c
    :help :normal
    :help :silent " for an example of a :normal search command
    :help :exe

Regards,
Gary