On Sun, 12 Aug 2012, Benji Fisher wrote:

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

On 12/08/12 11:26, lilleskut wrote:

I have a problem installing the matchit plugin (for matching html tags) which comes with vim on debian.

As far as I understand, all I have to do is ':so PATHTOMATCHIT/matchit.vim' and I should be able to match html tags with pressing '%' in vim.

Is this installation procedure correct, or do I still need to do something in addition to get html tag matching?

Also, there are two files matchit.vim in debian, one in '/usr/share/vim/addons/plugin'**, the other in '/usr/share/vim/vim73/macros/'

Does it matter which one I chose? I tried with either, but without
success, i.e. '%' did not have any effect when I am on html tags.

The one in macros is probably the original one which every vim user gets, even when not on Debian, or indeed not on Linux. The one in addons/plugin could be a Debian version.

Try the following:

1. Create a file (and possibly its directories) with the name ~/.vim/plugin/matchit.vim and the following contents:

runtime macros/matchit.vim

[...]

If you typed PATHTOMATCHIT literally, it would not work. I usually recommend adding this to your vimrc file:

    source $VIMRUNTIME/macros/matchit.vim

This is roughly equivalent to Tony's suggestion of:

runtime macros/matchit.vim

:runtime is almost the same as using :source and prepending $VIMRUNTIME. But, it has the benefit of searching all 'runtimepath' directories (not just the system directories), which makes it possible to override system-wide versions.

As a side benefit, it's shorter to type (which isn't important in a .vimrc, but can be useful in one-off's).

--
Best,
Ben H