On 15/08/12 20:52, Gary Johnson wrote:
On 2012-08-15, jcordes wrote:

Anyone else reading can probably tell from the followup I made to
my own post shows that I have confused myself quite thoroughly on
this point!

     Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll
     use regular expressions."  Now they have two problems.
                                      -- Attributed to Jamie Zawinski

Regards,
Gary

Oh, regular expressions work quite nicely, but AFAICT each of the Unix programs which uses them has an almost, but not quite, identical grammar for them. So they look familiar, but at some unexpected times the same regexp does just very slightly different things in different programs: IOW you have to check each time how regexps works for the software you are using _now_.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
The question is:  What do you do with your life?
The wrong answer is: Be the richest guy in the graveyard.