On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:03:09 AM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:22:44 AM UTC-5, Karthick wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>

> > I would like to modify the value of 'dir' option for a few specific
>

> > files (e.g: all files in directory ~/Foo/). Had 'dir' been a buffer
>

> > local option, it would have been a easy thing,
>

> One workaround might be to set 'noswapfile' globally in your .vimrc, and set
> 'swapfile' locally on BufEnter, after setting the correct 'dir' option.

I have some slow network shares, so I gave this idea a try to prevent using
them for swap files. It seems successful so far, but beware of the crash I
observed here: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/ZcJEKqNsVRI/discussion

Here's the code I came up with:

    " Make slow network shares on Windows prefer not to use the file's directory
    " for swap files
    if has('win32')
      set noswapfile
      autocmd BufReadPre * setlocal noswapfile
      autocmd BufEnter {Z,U,W}:{/,\\}* set dir-=. dir+=.
      " nested autocmd to enable swap files so SwapExists autocmds fire, too
      autocmd BufEnter * nested setlocal swapfile
      autocmd BufLeave {Z,U,W}:{/,\\}* set dir-=. dir^=.
    endif