For me personally, number of reasons, but probably the main ones:

--it is so small
--it's fast
--it's totally customizable (you can pretty much set it up exactly as
you need/want it)
--it works on pretty much every OS
--once you get used to it is it incredibly fast to use...it's so much
quicker than if you have to use the mouse...it frees your mind to
concentrate on the code, not the editor
--it's free!!

There are many many other reasons, these are just a few of my own ones.

Hope that helps...I would say give it a try....personally, I don't think
you'll go back to another editor once you get proficient on vim