I'm a VIM noob who uses VIM as a SystemVerilog file editor. Please bear with me
as I'm trying very hard to set up an optimal SystemVerilog text editing VIM
environment customized to my needs. The steep VIM learning curve, cluttered
documentation, and poor communication is making the experience challenging. My
OS is Linux.

I read somewhere that (g)VIM typically runs the .vimrc (or .gvimrc) vimscripts
in the $HOME OR local directory to set up its environment.

I have a SystemVerilog syntax file called systemverilog.vim that I received
from a co-worker, and I included the following command in my ~/.vimrc in order
for VIM to source this syntax file when hailing it:
------
syntax on
au BufEnter *.sv, *.svh, *.svi, *.h, *.inc, *.vsif :source ~/systemverilog.vim
------

It seems that the systemverilog.vim syntax file was by a pro working in Cadence.

Moving forward, I typically launch VIM in project directories that are far from
my $HOME directory. However, sometimes when opening multiple files on the
command line with
$ vim O[N] file1.sv file2.sv
I typically get one active window, which color codes the opened file's syntax,
and the non-active ones are plain colored (i.e. no syntax highlighting occurs.)
Once I switch between windows with ^Ww or execute some other VIM Window
Movement keystrokes, like window swapping or rotate, sometimes syntax coloring
magically occurs on all windows, and on other times, just on the newly active
window. Typically, when the latter happens I get miffed and hit ^Ww
repetitively so that syntax coloring appears everywhere.

It's a very curious behavior that I haven't been able to put my finger on. I'm
just starting to read up on "autocommands" and "events," and have recently
explored the /usr/share/vim/vim70/ directory and filetype.vim contents to get a
conceptual feel for how the creators of VIM get VIM going. It's still a work in
progress. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Lastly, and on a related note, I'm interested in expanding my VIM scope by
dabbling with some of the plug-ins or extensions out there, such as VimShell
and Nerdtree. I'm trying to organize my $HOME directory so that all-things-vim
are neatly sorted and compartmentalized. what's the optimal organization?

Underneath $HOME
.vimrc
.vim

Underneath .vim