Meino Cramer wrote:

> Dominique Pellé <dominique.pe...@gmail.com> [13-07-07 14:24]:
>> Meino Cramer wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My vim (Gentoo Linux, compiled by myself) is configured as follows:
>> >     Huge version with GTK2 GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
>> >     +arabic          +file_in_path    +mouse_sgr       +tag_binary
>> >     +autocmd         +find_in_path    -mouse_sysmouse  +tag_old_static
>> >     +balloon_eval    +float           +mouse_urxvt     -tag_any_white
>> >     +browse          +folding         +mouse_xterm     -tcl
>> >     ++builtin_terms  -footer          +multi_byte      +terminfo
>> >     +byte_offset     +fork()          +multi_lang      +termresponse
>> >     +cindent         +gettext         -mzscheme        +textobjects
>> >     +clientserver    -hangul_input    +netbeans_intg   +title
>> >     +clipboard       +iconv           +path_extra      +toolbar
>> >     +cmdline_compl   +insert_expand   -perl            +user_commands
>> >     +cmdline_hist    +jumplist        +persistent_undo +vertsplit
>> >     +cmdline_info    +keymap          +postscript      +virtualedit
>> >     +comments        +langmap         +printer         +visual
>> >     +conceal         +libcall         +profile         +visualextra
>> >     +cryptv          +linebreak       -python          +viminfo
>> >     +cscope          +lispindent      -python3         +vreplace
>> >     +cursorbind      +listcmds        +quickfix        +wildignore
>> >     +cursorshape     +localmap        +reltime         +wildmenu
>> >     +dialog_con_gui  +lua             +rightleft       +windows
>> >     +diff            +menu            -ruby            +writebackup
>> >     +digraphs        +mksession       +scrollbind      +X11
>> >     +dnd             +modify_fname    +signs           -xfontset
>> >     -ebcdic          +mouse           +smartindent     +xim
>> >     +emacs_tags      +mouseshape      -sniff           +xsmp_interact
>> >     +eval            +mouse_dec       +startuptime     +xterm_clipboard
>> >     +ex_extra        +mouse_gpm       +statusline      -xterm_save
>> >     +extra_search    -mouse_jsbterm   -sun_workshop
>> >     +farsi           +mouse_netterm   +syntax
>> >     system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
>> >         user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
>> >     2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
>> >         user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
>> >     system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
>> >         user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
>> >     2nd user gvimrc file: "~/.vim/gvimrc"
>> >         system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
>> >     fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
>> >
>> >     Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK
>> >     -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include
>> >     -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0
>> >     -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/libdrm
>> >     -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/libpng15
>> >     -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
>> >     -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2
>> >     -I/usr/local/include  -march=native -O2 -pipe -msse3
>> >     -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
>> >
>> >     Linking: gcc   -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--as-needed -o vim
>> >     -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -latk-1.0 -lcairo
> [...]

Try those:

$ vim -u NONE --noplugin -c 'set re=0' -c 'syntax on' dbfile.lua
$ vim -u NONE --noplugin -c 'set re=1' -c 'syntax on' dbfile.lua
$ vim -c 'set re=0' dbfile.lua
$ vim -c 'set re=1' dbfile.lua

Which one work or hang?

You could try to...
* remove plugins one by one in your ~/.vim/ dir
* comment out pieces in your ~/.vimrc
... until you find what triggers the bug.

Does vim take 100% of the CPU when it hangs?
When Vim hangs, you could attach with gdb to see
what is the stack trace in Vim, which may give ideas.

$ gdb
(gdb) attach pid_of_vim
(gdb) bt

(where pid_of_vim should be the process ID of Vim which hangs)

If you're not allowed (?) to share your lua file.  Perhaps you  can
share a similar Lua file which reproduces the problem.  Try to
trim down as much as possible the lua file.

Does the lua file has long lines?  Regexp matching may be
very slow with the old engine in some rare cases on long
lines. You can find the length of the longest lines with:

$ perl -ne 'print length, "\n"' <  dbfile.lua | sort -n | tail -5

Dominique