Paul wrote:
I guess the title of this thread is self-explanatory.  I'm using gvim on Windows 7
64-bit.  When sorting files by time in netrw, I see number prepended to file/directory
names, as shown below.  I change the regular expression to account for this when hiding
filenames starting with ".", but I'm wondering why the numbers are they're
there.  The funny thing is that they're not *always* there, at least not the ones in
front of bonafide files (the one in front of the entry for parent directory seems to be
always there).

Example of hiding filenames matching g:netrw_list_hide
" ============================================================================
" Netrw Directory Listing                                        (netrw v140)
"   c:/cygwin/home/_MyUserName_/projects/_myProject_/pub/_myPubName_/archive
"   Sorted by time reversed
"   Hiding:        ^\(.*/\)\?\.\+
"   Quick Help: <F1>:help  -:go up dir  D:delete  R:rename  s:sort-by  x:exec
" ============================================================================
000000001378955701/_myLaTeXfile_20130913.1913.tex                 10340
11/09/2013 11:15:01 PM

Example of showing filenames matching g:netrw_list_hide
" ============================================================================
" Netrw Directory Listing                                        (netrw v140)
"   c:/cygwin/home/_MyUserName_/projects/_myProject_/pub/_myPubName_/archive
"   Sorted by time reversed
"   Quick Help: <F1>:help  -:go up dir  D:delete  R:rename  s:sort-by  x:exec
000000001379353780/../                0 16/09/2013 1:49:40 PM

This problem is not happening to me.

I'm using Linux, vim v7.4.25, and netrw v150h. v140 is very old; I advise upgrading netrw. You can get netrw from my website: http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW .

I don't have a windows machine available for testing at the moment; I probably won't be able to get to it until Wednesday night. Perhaps you can upgrade your netrw first and see if fixes this issue in the meantime.

Regards,
C Campbell