Probably at risk of starting a vim/emacs tug of war. I hope not.

I have small bit of code using elisp that inserts a 'Keyword' entry
around a selected region.  Now I want to replicate that ability using
vim.

Example (assumes the lines are something I need to be able to
find, maybe years later):

Imagine  the lines  below are  something found  in a  rc file  that is
suspected of causing problems.  The one uncommented line is the likely
suspect but I also want set apart the existing comments.
  (Imagined snippet from a rc file)

  # This is the default setting because blah blah blah
  # more blah blah blah blah blah
  current rule in rc file

I would add my new rule right below the old one before calling the
elisp code.

  # This is the default setting because blah blah blah
  # more blah blah blah blah blah
  current rule in rc file
  New rule replacing line above

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------

When the elisp code is called, it will prompt for a few
words to identify what was done. Then using those words it
will insert a 'keywords' line, the date, a symbol indicating
the end of this blurb and will comment the whole works.

It will look like this when done and I've removed the one comment
to let the new rule work

  #        [Keydate:130922_214226 0 - Sun Sep 22, 2013
  # This is the default setting because blah blah blah
  # more blah blah blah blah blah
  # current rule in rc file
  New rule replacing line above
  # &&

My vim usage is very frequent but not very sophisticated.

I want to be able to do something very similar to what I showed above,
but do it with vim.

My skill level is pretty much nonexistent and the little I once knew
about adding inserts and such in vim hasn't been exercised for a very
long time.  I use a few inserts quite often but I've left them in
.vimrc for years and no longer remember how to write even a simple
one, let alone something like this.

I'll need some hefty coaching.