> My question is why wouldn't solo coding in the terminal with tabbed windows
> plus VIM alone be sufficient? Assuming no need to share one's terminal with
> others, what does terminal multiplexing give the VIM user that they don't
> already have?

I think it's (as usual) a matter of personal preferences. however here are the
reason why i use tmux:

* i can save precious screen space which is usually occupied by the tabs

* usually you need some awkward key combinations to switch tabs. not really a
big issue, and i suppose some (or maybe all) terminal emulators may let you
customize these shortcuts, but i still prefer the tmux way :) which btw works
the same on all terminals. i use linux at work and osx at home, so i would need
to learn different keys to switch tabs with terminology and iterm2

* tmux sessions! it's like organizing tabs into different projects. i basically
never use this at home, but at work i have to work on different projects, so i
made a little bash script that creates all the sessions and tabs (panes) i
need. this way i have a nicely organized workspace.

* if the terminal crashes or you close it by mistake, you don't lose your work
(a couple of times it happened...)