On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Suresh Govindachar
<sgovindac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It is because in addition to having opened the file via it's path, I have
> also opened the file via a link (Windows mklink /D command) to it.

Bingo. I noticed this myself awhile back. It makes sense, actually.
When you softlink/hardlink something on unix, your goal is not to put
the same file in multiple locations, but rather to have different
inodes pointing to the same blocks. The file paths are different,
therefore applications should treat them as such.

> I assume the same situation (multiple buffers for the same file opened via
> links) is present on unix too.

I think so (someone else care to verify?). Compare junctions to the
Windows "shortcut" concept which is literally just a redirect that an
application may choose to follow to the actual path. If Vim supported
Windows "shortcuts", I would guess its behavior would match what you
had expected with junctions. But with junctions, the application (Vim)
has no knowledge of the fact that two paths happen to share the same
blocks on the filesystem.

---
Justin M. Keyes